2022 – A Time of Change
It has been a year of positive change, with some year-end highlights below:
The transfer of the ownership of the Marble Arts Centre to Tweed & Co. Theatre in January 2022 lifted financial and maintenance burdens. The successful accessibility grant for electrical door openers led by Nicole Flynn and Bonnie Marentette, and the Parrot Foundation grant for a new furnace led by Bob Giguere were also transferred with the MAC to Tweed & Co. in January, and have been fully implemented.
With the lifting of pandemic restrictions, we were able to offer programming. Art in the Park/ the fish fry returned this summer after 3 years with more than 30 vendors, local musicians, and a Children’s Art Area. An estimated 400 to 500 people circulated through the Park. A number of concerts/events were held at the MAC: Long Range Hustle; two Ontario Festival of Small Halls (Silent Winters; Irish Mythen); Daniel Champagne; and the MAC 10+1 Anniversary Celebration with Tweed & Co. Theatre.
We have maintained our profile in the community:
- T&AAC successfully nominated:
- Founding Board member / retiring Vice Chair Roely DeVries for Municipality of Tweed’s ‘Volunteer of the Year’ award in October 2022, in recognition of 40+ years of contributions to arts and culture in our community
- Tweed & Co. Theatre for Quinte Arts Council’s annual Arts Recognition Award – one of five recipients in September 2022
- Memberships in the Quinte Arts Council, Tweed & Area Chamber of Commerce
- The T&AAC team raised over $2,000 for the May 2022 Walk for Alzheimers! We donated a pair of tickets to the Daniel Champagne concert as a door prize for participants.
- We’ll be walking in the Santa Claus parade on Sat. Dec. 3 as part of the community Christmas, and enjoying the Festival of Trees, several craft shows/luncheons, and other events / activities!
We wrapped up an Ontario Trillium Foundation grant this spring and launched a new website (Spring 2022), Strategic Plan (February 2022), and Marketing & Communications Plan (May 2022).
Donations/ Partnerships/ Sponsorships (just over $2,100 in 2022) included the Festival of Trees, the Front Porch Ruckus, Tweed & Area Studio Tour, Tweed & Co., Tweed Lions’ Music in the Park, and the Land o’ Lakes Curling Club.
Members & volunteers continue to support us– our board, members, those who help organize and implement events – we literally could not do this work without you! In 2022, we had approximately 45 members (individuals, families, organizations). The estimate of the volunteer hours (not including Board members) for 2022 is 150 hours. Our Board put in over 1,000 hours (but don’t let that scare you off 😊).
Daniel Champagne October 6
Rescheduled 3 times due to the pandemic, on this special night at the Marble Arts Centre Australian guitar virtuoso Daniel Champagne and guest Mia Kelly wowed a full house with their amazing talent! The audience came from near and far; many were at the MAC for their first time. Thanks Tweed & Company Theatre for your support, and the team of volunteers that made it such a great success…especially @skootamattahouse for a wonderful meal and hosting special guests.
MAC 10+1 Anniversary Celebration
A good time was had by all at MAC 10+1 Anniversary Celebration that we co-hosted with Tweed & Company Theatre on Sunday October 16. Open house entertainment included Pat Chappelle and Sandra Pettit, members of the Gateway Youth Jazz Ensemble, and the Rebel of Hungerford /Torbic Kagmire. The Young Family Band then hosted the Gary & Alberta Young Memorial Jamboree and a variety of guests. The Young Family have supported the Marble Arts Centre since Day 1! All proceeds from the Jamboree will go to the Jazz Ensemble, the Arts Council and Tweed & Company. Thanks everyone for your support past, present, and future!