T&AAC logo

The Marble Arts Centre



Our Facility

The MAC is owned and operated by the Tweed & Area Arts Council. Located at 13 Bridgewater Road in Actinolite, Municipality of Tweed, Ontario, this renovated hall is air conditioned, has comfortable theatre seating for up to 124, wonderful acoustics, and is wheelchair accessible. The MAC has a stage, backstage working area, lighting and sound systems, projector and screen. The Jack Vance Studio Lounge includes a kitchenette, reception facilities, and is licensed by the AGCO to serve alcohol. Free parking is available. The MAC can be rented for stage productions, other performance events, movies, classes, meetings, weddings, and family gatherings. T&AAC is also open to hosting events with other organizations or performers.

History

Built in 1864, the MAC started as the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Bridgewater, Elzevir Township (previously Troy, now the hamlet of Actinolite in the Municipality of Tweed), and then became Actinolite United Church. Erected of white marble quarried about 200 feet to the north-east, the structure is thought to be the only church built of white marble in Canada. The last service was held in 2005 on the 141st anniversary of the church. Since the MAC was purchased in 2008, a number of improvements have been achieved through the hard work and generosity of members/other volunteers, donors, local businesses and granting agencies. The first performance at the MAC was held on May 8, 2010, and the ribbon celebrating the official opening was cut June 11, 2011.

For information contact:
Bob Giguere, Tweed & Area Arts Council,
Box 359, Tweed, ON, K0K 3J0
613.478.1343
E-mail
Like us on Facebook